The project main actions:
A: Preparatory actions, elaboration of management plans and/or of action plans
Main action here is the development of essential requirements for carrying out the monitoring of Aspius aspius, Gobitis taenia, Misgurnus fossilis and Cottus gobio in Alam- Pedja Natura 2000.
C: Concrete conservation actions
1) re-uniting of oxbow lakes (meanders) with the river. The result of this action will be rehabilitated connections of meanders (oxbow lakes) with the River Emajõgi in Alam-Pedja Natura 2000 area. It is planned to re-connect 10 meanders with total length of 17 km.
2) restoration of valuable spawning grounds. In total 17 spawning sites (approximately 50 hectares, the area and number of spawning sites available for fish in particular year depends on water level) restored in Alam-Pedja Natura 2000 area.
3) reintroduction of Aspius aspius. 50 000 one summer old youngs (YOY) reintroduced into river Emajõgi. Fundamental bases created for Aspius aspius reintroduction in Estonia.
D: Public awareness and dissemination of results
1) Project website will keep the information about the actions and a results available on-time.
2) Booklets related to the targeted riverine Natura 2000 habitats and fish species will be issued. 3) Associated beneficiary will organise 4 study camps for youn people focussing on Natura 2000 values of Estonian rivers.
4) The campaign for return of fish tags is necessary to increase public awareness and get monitoring information from local fishermen and anglers.
5) Introduction of Habitats Directive Annex II fish species and their habitats in media (radio, TV, papers), seminars and international conferences.
6) Composing a layman´s report.
NGO Wildlife Estonia is established in 2000. Our aim is to protect rivers and other aquatic habitats. We care about the nature, biodiversity and fish in particular.
Springs, rivers and lakes are our common treasure. The more natural status they have the more precious they are.
Successful application and implementation of river restoration and fish population status improvement projects. Scientific ichthyology studies with traditional and modern bio-telemetric methods.
Eesti Loodushoiu Keskus, registration 80124928,
Address: Veski 4, 51005 Tartu, ESTONIA
Contact phone (+372) 51 76886